Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Shudder ~ An Uncomfortable Feeling

Have you ever thought about your death and in the next moment questioned if there is a God, if Christ exist, and if there is a Heaven? How does that make you feel? I did this on the way home from work today. I've been gone a lot recently and was thinking about my wife and sons and how little time that I've spent with them the last few days. Then I started thinking about how they would be if I died, which led me to ponder my own mortality and the strength of my beliefs/resolve/convictions that there is a God in Heaven and Christ, His son, sits next to him. When I think about my death, which, to be honest, isn't often, I usually get a feeling that is a combination of uncertainty, fear, dread, and shame. I call myself a Christian and say that I believe in salvation, God, Christ, and Heaven. When I consider my death the first two emotions/feelings I have are fear and doubt. Fear of my death/mortality and doubt about an afterlife, the existance of God & Heaven, and whether or not I'll be admitted there if it does exist. I get this weird, uncomfortable feeling when I think of this. I consciously tell myself that I am a believer and that these things are real and, for a time, I feel a slight amount of calm. Then I feel sad and ashamed because of the questioning/uncertain thoughts that I have.
As usual, I quickly turned my mind to other, happier thoughts and didn't dwell on my mortality long. Do you have a good scripture to help me with this? Would you share it? Thanks

3 comments:

Derek Chalfant said...

Heres a quick verse for you John 5:24 which reads..."I assure you, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but the have already passed from death into life." (New Living Translation)

My big thing is what will happen to those I love here on earth, wife, kids, family friends, etc...and the thoughts of heaven are more of what will it be like, where do you go first, do you stop at the gate and they let you in, is there training? I know some of those I'm reaching but I wonder these things.

That feeling you get I would say is from the enemy who is always wanting to throw doubt in your mind over everything about your relationship with Jesus Christ.

Kris Sorensen said...

Great post. I can identify.

FYI: I've tagged you over on my last post. http://www.changeisgood4u.com/2008/05/tagged.html

Nathan said...

I have no scripture to offer, but I love this post! Thanks for sharing! I relate to this feeling very well1