Monday, March 9, 2009

And....

You'd think since I've been a track coach for 17 years and a cross-country coach for 15 years that I'd know how to figure the splits per lap to run a mile (ok, it's technically only 1600m, not a mile) in 7 minutes, right? WRONG! Another coach and I decided to run a mile (1600m) at 7 minute pace, so I thought, "Alright, that's 1:30 per lap." Anyone see the discrepancy there? 1:30 per lap is 6 minute pace, not 7. Guess how long it took me to figure this out. It wasn't until the 4th lap that I realized that we were going too fast and that my figuring was wrong concerning our pace. Funny thing was he never said a thing about it during the run, only afterward. I believe this demonstrates, without a shadow of a doubt, why it's a good thing that I teach social studies and not math or science.

"The Lord said to Moses, 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.'" ~ Leviticus 19:28

No comments: